What is WorkWorkWorkTV?
I sometimes ask me the same question to be frank with you. I would call it a collaboration stream at this point. The plan is to build a 24/7 stream in which calming/ relaxing background music is played and you can work along with other people live on stream. And it is really easy to get involved: just connect the webcam to the stream and work on your stuff. I later will describe how it works. Feel free to visit past broadcasts to make have an impression of the stream Twitch Videos
The motivation of this project
By accident I've discovered this Youtube channel named “24/7/365 Study With Me”. I was curious and was hooked instantly. This concept still fascinates me and I thought that this is a great project for the European area since such streams are often only live in the Korean timezone. Anyway I started to connect my webcam and began to work along with other people and I got more stuff done then the weeks before. It somehow works for me.
I've made a similar experience some time earlier and it could be a possible explanation. I love to work in cafés or in company with other people. It motivates me a lot when I see people work on their projects and I think I am not alone with this. Besides this I like to have some kind of background noise. I am used to it and it helps me to concentrate and focus on the task. My favorites so far: Lo-fi hiphop streams and recordings of rain.
I think the main goal here is to motivate people – including me – to work on projects or to study. A lot of tasks are 'boring' and and this stream may brings some motivation.
I am not really creative and I don't like to choose a name as I have problems to commit to something. The name had to fulfill some criteria:
- I like the name
- It is easy to remember, but is still quiet unique
- Domain name, Twitter & Twitch handles are this available
Despite the length of its name the simplicity of it makes it quiet memorable in my opinion. As I mentioned before I am not really creative when it comes to names. Best example: “AverageDom”. A lot of generic names like “LetsStudyTV”, “WorkTogether” and similar names were taken before and I am not sure whether I'd have taken one of those as I didn't really like those.
How it works (pre 24/7 stream)
I currently run the stream on my main machine with OBS. It works for now but since my machine won't run 24/7 it isn't really be suited to be the 24/7 solution. I will tackle this topic in a separate blog post as soon I worked on a solution. Current functions:
- Recording of rain (I will try out various sounds in the future. open to suggestions)
- Webcam capture screen of appear.in. Current limit: 4 users. Can be extended to 12+
- Local time (will add various timezones)
- What am I working on?
More upcoming features will be listed in the road map.
How to get involved
It is really simple.
- Visit appear.in/wwwtv when the stream is live
- Browser only (no software needed)
- No registration necessary
- Need a webcam
- Allow the browser to use your webcam
- Done + start working
Recommendations: Deactivate your mic + sound of the appear.in room You obviously don't have to connect your webcam. Just work along and enjoy the company
Use common sense & work in peace. I have to think about it, but keep it “child friendly”. No nudity, no racism, no harassment... I have to work on this part to keep the stream 'troll free'.
The road map
As I mentioned before I have problems to commit to something. I am aware of the fact that this project need to get some traction before it makes sense and because of this I've decided to keep this project alive for at least 12 months.
- Preparation for the 24/7 stream
- Technical setup (hosting, stream setup. stream layout)
- Content to stream (recordings)
- Moderation (Rules, restriction)
- Schedule *When will I be live? *
- Rudiment homepage (WorkWorkWork.Tv)
- Promodoro timer
- Web app for the community to keep track of projects
- Automated social media feed
- What background music?
- Rules + restrictions
- Multi platform stream? (Youtube, Mixer, Caffeine,...)
- Stream on homepage? (Hoster, bandwidth,...)
- Upload vods on other platforms?
- Homepage multilingual?
- Summary of study/ work tips
So far I really enjoy to work on this project and as you see there has a lot of work to be done.
Feel free to join the stream at any point. For further information or questions and suggestions just follow me on the following channels:
Upcoming: Homepage + e-mail
Feel free to reach out so share your feedback, share tips or just for the sake of a good conversation.